Director of Major Gifts
Saint Joseph’s University provides a rigorous, student-centered education rooted in the liberal arts. SJU ranks as a top university in the Northeast, with a Phi Beta Kappa chapter in the College of Arts and Sciences and AACSB accreditation of the Erivan K. Haub School of Business. The University is also deeply committed to the Jesuit tradition of scholarship and service, earning a place on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll and the community engagement classification from the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. With courses offered on campus and online, SJU prepares its more than 9,000 undergraduate, graduate and doctoral students to lead lives of personal excellence, professional success and engaged citizenship.
Under Mark C. Reed, Ed.D., one of the emerging leaders in Catholic higher education, Saint Joseph’s is experiencing increased student demand, improved admissions selectivity, and an enhanced profile of scholarship and service. Its academic and financial ratings are both on the rise, and a strategic planning process will soon conclude with the University’s strategic and campaign priorities for continued growth.
Accordingly, Saint Joseph’s University is about to embark on a journey to even greater academic and institutional achievement nationally and around the world and will soon launch a new comprehensive campaign to drive these initiatives. The success of our major gifts efforts will in large part determine the success of our campaign and we are seeking talented major gift officers who in tandem with our existing staff will form a high-performing team.
The Director of Major Gifts is an integral member of the major gifts team in the Division of University Advancement. Reporting to the Senior Director of Major Gifts, the Director is responsible for the identification, qualification, cultivation and solicitation of prospects that are capable of making gifts of $50,000 and above, and ensuring that all donors receive a positive and satisfying donor experience. Travel is part of the responsibilities of the Director as prospects may reside outside the Philadelphia area. The Director is also responsible for working closely with members of the university administration as well as faculty to advance the strategic fundraising priorities of the institution.
Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Duties):
• Personally manage a portfolio of up to 150 major gift prospects
• Secure 150 quality visits per year, 12-15 per month
• Developing an annual plan to secure $1 – $2 million in outright gifts and/or new commitments
• Develop strategies for each prospect in their portfolio based on the gift cycle; Manage and update strategies and key next steps as necessary, utilizing the Donor Engagement Process (DEP) prospect management system
• Prepare briefing memos for President/Vice President/Cabinet members as needed
• Work with members of the university administration/President’s cabinet to effectively utilize their talents as part of the University’s fundraising initiatives
Minimum Qualifications (Education/Training and Experience Required):
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in major gift fundraising or equivalent sales experience
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Excellent organizational, oral and written communication skills
• Understanding of and commitment to the mission of Saint Joseph’s University
• Previous College/University fundraising experience
Physical Requirements or Unusual Work Hours:
• Standing for long periods of time at events
• Travel required, specifically in the U.S. outside of the Philadelphia region
• Evening/weekend hours required, especially during academic year
For more information and to apply please visit https://jobs.sju.edu/postings/13859