Postdoctoral Fellowship, Data Institute
Postdoctoral Fellowship, Data Institute
University of San Francisco
The Data Institute at the University of San Francisco is proud to invite applications for a postdoctoral position starting August 2018. The Data Institute was founded in the summer of 2016 and serves to advance multidisciplinary research in data science, train the next generation of both academic and industrial data scientists, foster an inclusive and welcoming data science community and support this community's effort to apply data science solutions for the social good and finally, to continue our effort of breaking down the barriers between industry and academia.
The MS in Analytics as well as the BS in Data Science programs with the support of the Data Institute are interdisciplinary degree programs with a diverse and growing community of full-time faculty members from analytics, mathematics and statistics, and computer science. These programs have a combined undergraduate and graduate population of 140 students and growing. These students are centrally supported by both core graduate analytics faculty and the faculty from the mathematics and statistics department as well as the computer science department.
The Data Science faculty at USF and the Data Institute pursue academic excellence and are committed to fostering an environment in which faculty, staff, and students from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed and can thrive.
The position is aimed at recently graduated doctoral students (0-3 years from completing their Ph.D.) from STEM ﬁelds who are interested in postdoctoral training and a career in either industry or academia. Training and opportunities the postdoc will receive include:
1. Dedicated research mentoring from affiliated faculty with specialties in deep learning, natural language processing, databases, statistical modeling, network analysis, algorithms, unsupervised learning, machine learning, optimization, experimental design, health analytics, signal processing and other areas of applied mathematics, statistics, computer science and Data Science.
2. Research funding to support travel and dissemination of research.
3. Access to the computing resources at USF and the Data Institute that includes GPU clusters as well as Amazon Web Services resources.
4. Teaching opportunities (no more than 1 course per semester) in his/her area of specialty in undergraduate or graduate data science and analytics courses (including, but not limited to, courses currently oﬀered in the BSDS and MSAN programs).
5. Access to opportunities from specialized courses established at the Data Institute and the graduate programs at USF including deep learning, databases, large-scale computing, statistical modeling and other areas of Data Science to complement the postdoctoral candidate’s current training and expertise.
6. Opportunity to mentor graduate students on industry practicum projects that will expose the fellow to practical data science problems in industry.
7. Direct assignment and support by a company partner and industry mentor for an advanced research project in data science from industry.
Candidates should possess an earned doctorate in the appropriate field of study by August 2018. This position may be renewable annually to a maximum of two years and is not a tenure-track position.
Additional Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
For information on how to apply, please visit the following link: http://apptrkr.com/1116979
The University of San Francisco is an equal opportunity institution of higher education. As a matter of policy, the University does not discriminate in employment, educational services and academic programs on the basis of an individual’s race, color, religion, religious creed, ancestry, national origin, age (except minors), sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition (cancer-related and genetic-related) and disability, and the other bases prohibited by law. The University reasonably accommodates qualified individuals with disabilities under the law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.